Friday 24 October 2014

Photo Tutorial by Heather McMahon
{Design Team "Moment To Shine"}






Hello everyone & welcome to our October photo tutorial by new 
Design Team member Heather McMahon from Australia. Heather is 
sharing how she made these gorgeous butterflies to coordinate 
with the layout she made, using our current challenge here.

Heather shared a sneak peak of her layout for our mid 
month revea& now we get to see her whole layout.

LET HEATHER KNOW WHAT YOU THINK BY LEAVING A COMMENT!



Heather has used the butterfly images as well as the colours 
from the mood board to inspire her layout.



Introducing Heather :-


Hi there! I'm Heather McMahon & I'm thrilled to be
 joining the Scrap Around The World team. 

I live in Australia with my husband & 2 teenage kids. I was introduced to scrapbooking 
15 years ago & was immediately addicted. My children were young when I started so 
finding scrapping time was hard, but now I have much more time to explore & create. 

I love to experiment with different styles & I think there is a lot of variety in what I create. 
No matter what style I use though, colour always plays a key role in my work. I like 
my layouts to reflect the mood or feeling of the photo & I use colour to reinforce this. 

I'm really looking forward to sharing my work & to seeing what you create too!
 I'd love it if you visited my blog HERE & my Facebook page HERE

-----------------------------

1. After you have created your background, select some of the 
colours you want to highlight. Take a scrap piece of white 
cardstock & spray it with three of those colours.


2. Dry thoroughly. If your cardstock is still damp it won't cut properly 
(& you'll get very pretty coloured dies!) Place butterfly dies
 on your cardstock & cut with a die-cutting machine.


3. Now take three smaller pieces of white cardstock & spray each with 
one colour only. Leave plenty of white cardstock showing 
on these as white helps to lighten the page.


4.Lay your butterfly dies on top. By this stage you should have 
some idea of whether you want more larger or smaller 
butterflies so adjust your cutting accordingly.


5. You can see in this picture the different results you can get depending on where 
you place your dies. If a die doesn't cut properly, consider leaving some of the 
pieces attached to the die-cut shape, as I have with butterfly on the right. 


6. Once your butterflies are cut out, add them to 
your page and decorate with Liquid Pearls & 
cotton & scatter lovely bling in between them.


Here are some close ups :-


Coloured gauze is great for adding some texture & interest to the background.


I added beads to my stitching by simply gluing them on top.


Use 2 colours of Tinby Metallic Melts to create a two-toned effect on your title.


Here are the products I used :- 


SUPPLIES LIST

Cardstock - American Crafts
Papers - Echo Park & Pink Paislee
Mists - Heidi Swapp Color Shine (Mustard &Pink) Dylusions (London Blue)
Dies - Poppy, Memory Box & Die-namics
Flowers - Scrapbooking n'Craft
Inks - Hero Arts, StazOn & Brilliance
Embossing powder - Tinby Metallic Melts
Others - Liquid Pearls, Fundamentals alphas,beads, cotton, gauze, pen

Please leave a comment here for Heather if you found this tutorial inspiring!

There is only ONE WEEK LEFT to enter the October challenge.
TIME TO GET CREATING!!  
So many amazing prizes - gotta be in it to win it!!

You can find the details here.





14 comments:

zuziucha said...

What z super great idea! I must try it. Your lauout is just great!

Di Garling said...

Fabulous tutorial Heather, I love the way you have coloured your butterflies. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Di

Sandra said...

I'm glad I came to read your tutorial because I thought you'd used Tinby Melts on the butterflies as well as the title. Your layout is beautiful.

N@hir said...

I love it! Such a great layout!

Hera said...

This is absolutely beautiful and happy! Love it! Thanks so much for inspiring us!

Sarah said...

Stunning Heather - I really LOVE your butterflies!

Tilla said...

Wow this is simply beautiful !
Thanks for a great tutorial and the inspiration

Tone-Lill said...

I adore your butterfly LO Heather, thanks for the tutorial :)

Tusia Lech said...

Amazing layout and wonderful tutorial!!

Kelly Pyron said...

So beautiful! I love the colors and the little threads hanging down add such a soft and flow-y feel to the page.

Kelly Pyron said...

So beautiful! I love the colors and the little threads hanging down add such a soft and flow-y feel to the page.

Riikka Kovasin said...

I love the layout and the tutorial is so inspiring!

Erica said...

Oh my, your layout is AMAZING!! Love those beautiful butterflies! Thanks for sharing your talent with us! :)

Ella Swan said...

A wonderful tutorial Heather! Thank you!!